This is the ultimate AMP UP VIDEO.
THERE’S GOING TO BE A LOT OF TEXT. IF YOU DON’T WANT MY JARGON AND RANTS AND JUST THE NUTS-AND-BOLTS, SKIP TO “MOTIVATIONAL TOOLS”
There’s a lot to be said about the mind-body connection when you work out to make your workouts more effective (such as visualizing certain muscles when you work them, making sure you get the correct pump while breathing, etc) and a whole other post about your priorities for working out as well.
But with this post I believe they’re all interconnected and when combined can really add to a healthy mental and physical lifestyle. That’s obvious.
But how do we go about doing it?
I’m going to assume you’ve already been working out and maybe you’ve gotten your own routine and everything going. If you’re seeing the results you want, that’s awesome and you probably don’t need to read this post. But this is for those that sometimes stray off the beaten path and are flimsy on their workout regimen or don’t see the results they want, whether mentally (I don’t have time for this workout, I’ll do it next week, etc etc) or physically (not going all out when you work out, or feeling that deep pump of exhaustion). I’m going to outline 3 problems and how I solve them all with one solution.
First, let’s talk about your work out goals and what working out means to you
Yeah, you might’ve gotten into the game through the obvious reasons: getting fit, looking great, boosting your confidence, etc, but before you work out what do you think about? Or even better what do you think about to dissuade yourself from working out? If you have legitimate time concerns for other projects, then that’s fine. But this is about prioritizing your time and mental efforts for the most effective workout. For me, working out is almost meditative. Once you get into a set routine, you start to work out because of the great dopamine release you get from it, helping you de-stress from things that might be on your mind. Which leads me to my next point–
Second, let’s talk about being accountable
How do we continually push ourselves to make it to the gym, when we don’t have time or the motivation? Worse still, if we do go to the gym but don’t feel motivated, how do we get the best workout without having felt we didn’t make the best use of our time? If you’ve already gotten yourself to the gym, you’re already doing a good job pushing yourself. But we can always do better—
Lastly, let’s talk about getting ready for our workout
What gets you motivated to hit the weights HARD? Do you listen to music? Meditate a bit? Or is it kind of just clockwork now? If you got other stuff on your mind, that’s fine. If it’s too important to put off, that’s fine too. But, finally, here’s what I’m going to recommend to solve all your problems, and it may seem like a huge cop-out.
TL;DR: THE TOOLS:
- PRE-WORK OUT
- AMPED ASS MUSIC AND MOTIVATIONAL VIDEOS.
So you’ve made it this far from my lame words on philosophy, great.
Do you use pre-work out? No? Get it. I’ll explain why.
Now you might say this is a crutch, but that’s only if you can’t get motivated without it. However, If you’re looking for that extra boost on a rainy day, pre-work out is the ultimate solution to accountability, mentality, and getting AMPED.
Pre-workout costs money. Each scoop you take costs you a chunk of change and takes 30 minutes to kick-in. This is your time to get AMPED MENTALLY before it kicks in physically.
- Accountability: Once you’ve consumed the actual pre-work out, you’ve just PAID to go work out. They make actual apps on phones based on this concept! Fitsby, stickK, and Gympact have you put down money as collateral if you don’t make your work out. If you flake out now, that burden of “I’ve just spent money on nothing” will help motivate you (at least it’s always motivated me). Almost always after I’ve consumed pre-work out, I at least force myself to show up to the gym.
- Getting ready for the work-out and having the right mentality: Since you have 30 minutes, there are a number of ways I get into the mentality of working out, but it’s mostly music. This is going to get a bit meditative but HONESTLY, it really does help when you really get into your work out and get the best possible pump and hit the weights till your muscles are torn to pieces. Depending on my mood I’ll listen to a song and close my eyes to really focus on getting my positive energy up and getting amped. I block out all other things that are on my mind to make sure I set apart this time exclusively for working out and getting the most endorphins out during the exercise.
- If you’re feeling introspective and want a chill-out song to push away your worries and have an out-of-body experience, this is the way to go. I relax, close my eyes and focus on the words and ghostly music, bringing myself to an out-of-body experience.
- If you’re in need of a more conventional work-out song and you need that EDM fix with fast and bumping music to get your blood flowing, I definitely recommend this song. I use this song for slow days when I need more energy.
- Looking for some positive rap and a bit of electronica to get yourself ON POINT? Give this a shot
Those are just a few songs, but here’s the holy grail of all things that always gets me motivated no matter what and’ is the main photo of this post.
That’s all I got.
Ken – S4E